Friday, October 10, 2008

One of the best things to ever happen to me...

So in reflection, my bike crash was probably the best thing to happen to me on two wheels since...well, ever! Sure I'm banged up, sore, and missing some flesh, but the lesson learned is worth all of that and more. Having never crashed, I used to take a lot of chances out on the road. I had the 'this could never happen to me' outlook, and figured it really never could. Well, I took chances, rode where I probably shouldn't have, and I got tagged for it. Luckily no one was hurt badly, I learned a lesson, and hopefully the driver of the car learned one as well. And...the very next day I went to the bike shop and got one of those oh-so-flashy day-glow bright yellowish green bike jerseys. Sweet Ass!

Onward.

I need to rant about something that really bothers me here in this space. With the upcoming election and economic crises, we're all on edge a bit. Who really knows where our country is headed, and to be honest this couldn't be a much scarier time. With that said, I'm sick of people forcing their political opinions on me. Look, regardless of your values, beliefs, and morals, we all have the right to vote for who we feel will do the best job. For goodness sake, that's what this country is founded on! Freedom of thought, religion, decision, and whatever else you can think of is why we're all here! Sure we've had our hiccups (don't get me started on slavery and equal rights for ALL men AND WOMEN!), but we must not forget the very basis and foundation of our great country.

With all that said, I truly HATE it when people try to force their political beliefs on me. Who are you to tell me who I should or shouldn't vote for. Am I not an inteligent human being, capapble of making my own decision? Obviously I put my shoes on the correct feet so I must have some level of smarts! Democrat or Republican, you're still a person, and that's the most important part. Sure we're all conservative on some things and liberal on others-that's the beauty of our system. We can all come together, theoretically, and make a decision based on the majority. We decide for ourselves and are allowed to voice that opinion in the form of a simple vote.

So sorry for the rant, but I had to get this off my chest. Don't be the one to force what you think on another person. Sure it's fine to share your opinion if asked to, but simply provide information. I garauntee you, whomever you're talking to will appreciate it, and in the end, you may convince them to see your points more than if you're force-feeding them.

More importantly than anything I just wrote: GO OUT AND VOTE!!!!

Push 'till ya puke...Always.

3 comments:

Stefan said...

On the other hand ... I won't be able to go riding with you any more if you don't vote for MY candidate :-)

Ward said...

Great prespective Dave.. The same could be said for religion.. For me, I have a deep religous faith in God, but I'm not going to go out of my way to push it on anyone. But in the same regard, if topic is brought up, then I'm more than willing to express my opinions.

Dave said...

Haha, well if YOUR candidate is fast on a bike, I will vote for him... :-)

I agree Ward. Religion and Politics by their very nature are very passionate topics. I think it's important to 'stick to your guns' with your beliefs. There is nothing better than when people are allowed to make an informed and educated decision about what they believe.