Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Bike Crash

Just got into my first gnarly bike crash. I've been riding for a couple of years and had some close calls, but this was the first. Let's just say I hope it doesn't happen often. To make a long story short, a car failed to yeild right of way, clipped my rear wheel, and I was sent flying off my bike and onto the sidewalk at 35 mph....not to mention the fact that my neck and head stopped me as they struck a signpost. Good times!

Luckily, all this was witnessed by one of Port Jeff's finest, and emergency personel were on the scene immediately. Now the worst part about this wreck was not the ambulance ride; not the bad cuts and bruises; but the fact that this was only the second day I was riding my new bike...

Yesterday I picked up a new Specialized Tarmac, my first real road bike. I put about 80 miles on it between yesterday and today and wanted to get a few more miles in before my last client of the day. Anyway, as you can guess, things did really go to plan.

All in all, I'm a little shaken and a little beat up. Now that I'm ok, I just really want my poor bike to be as well. This being my first true carbon ride, I'm a little worried about cracks. She'll go into the shop tomorrow to get inspected and hopefully pieced back together. She's just too young to go!!! :-(

Well that's all for now, I'll keep the updates going on condition of my bike. Wish her well!!!

Push 'till ya puke...Always.

2 comments:

Ward said...

Scary stuff.. Glad you're ok.. Fortunately I've been riding for over 15 years and (knock on wood) have never crashed or witnessed a crash. Stay safe out there...

Dave said...

Thanks for the good word Ward. I'm a little banged up but not defeated. I did go out today and buy a bright, day-glow jersey! And my bike got the O.K. from the shop so it's back up and running.