Monday, September 22, 2008

Balls, Heart, and Soul

So I was in the bathroom at work this morning, taking care of some "business" (sorry for the abrubt vulgarness of this post, I'm just feelin' kinda squirrelly(sp?) today), and I was thinking about the difference between the motivating factors of "having balls" versus doing what you really have a passion for, putting your "heart and soul" into it. I decided that putting your heart and soul into something is a bit different, and at most times better way to complete a task.

I would describe "having balls" as taking chances that could wind up with you in a jam. Whether spending money you don't have for something you need, or sticking your chin out when it may get smacked Having balls means being aggressive and being a risk taker, albeit for and advance in position-in life, a race, at work, etc.

Putting your "heart and soul" into something means to move toward a goal with every emotion in your body. Whatever your goal is, you move toward it with your whole being. Everything you have is what you give to get you there. To put your heart and soul into something means that even though the world will not end if you do not achieve your goal, it still feels like a very small place when things don't go as planned.

In my short life, I've done both. I've had some balls in some things, and I've put my heart and soul into others. The things that I have found to be more worthwhile usually end up being the latter. Emotion is something we all deal with and it can be an amazing tool. When used correctly, and aimed directly at its target, emotion and feeling can get you where guts never could. In fact, emotion will take the place of the so called "guts" you need to get some stuff done. Passion and emotion are what wins battles and advance you past the point of just wanting to achieve.

I enjoy learning new things about myself each day. I've learned that I have a lot to learn. I only hope that I never stop...this learnin' thing is fun.

And by the way. School didn't teach me shit. Sure I learned to read, write, add and subtract, but everything I've learned that matters in life came in the form of making it through adversity. Figuratively and literally speaking, I've been down and out, kicked around, beaten down, spit on, and discounted, but you know what? I'm still here and I'm stronger than I was yesterday.

Push 'till ya puke...Always.

No comments: