Monday, February 9, 2009

It's funny...



It's funny how things work out.

So yesterday I went to a swim clinic up in Connecticut. I have to say that this is my first swim clinic. I've never been a swimmer (the only professional instruction I've ever recieved was from the folks at Waterbabies about 20 years ago), but since hiring a coach and being forced into the water, I've come to find that it's now my favorite of the three disciplines of triathlon. I know this will sound obvious, but it's the fluidity of swimming that I love. I get a 'high' from running just like everyone else, and cycling is great for really working my mind and body, but I've never gotten such pure joy out of excercising as much as I do when I'm in the water.

This isn't all to say that the first couple of weeks being in the water were all fun and games, but when I found my stroke and have since refined it, I find that I'm gliding through the water with an uncanny ease. I've gone from being the guy thrashing in the lane, using 30 strokes to get to 25 yards, to the guy who now gets there in 15. The other day I swam 3000 yards-as a warm up! Then drills, then some more long stuff, and still felt great after getting out of the water.

My point is that even though you may dispise something, get to know it a little, make friends with it, and you may be suprised by what you find. For me it's been the water. I've gone from hating every second of pool time to wanting never to leave! I'm amazed and super happy with this revelation!

People often say that there are certian life lessons that you aquire as you move through life. I've had many, and some have been important, but this is one of the few that I really cherish. I know that I can use and apply it to so many areas of my life. Kinda pisses me off to think that I spent all that money on college when one of the most important things I've ever learned was taught to me in the water for a gym fee of 50 bucks a month. Such is life.

Push 'till ya puke...Always. (Just not in the pool)

No comments: