Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Slowtwitch...and David Goggins type motivation (almost)


I haven't had much to write about lately. Just the normal fodder going on in my life. I think I've actually gotten a bit testy since not writing. This seems to be a great therapy for me, which I think subconsciously was the reason I started this blog in the first place. I really love the opportunity to share my thoughts, if with no one but myself. It provides me with a forum I would otherwise only have in my head. That said, it's nice to go back and read things I wrote, and understand a little bit more about myself through the feelings I may have had when I did.


So this brings me to today. It's about 8:30 in the morning, and I'm waiting at the gym for a client to show. So, like all other Americans with access to a computor at work, I start wasting time surfing the web. In my web travels, as I often do, I came upon Slowtwitch.com. I really love this site. I'd guess that on average, 25% of my web time is spent there. The articles, interview, and general info are great. Recently, though, I've started to get hooked on the forums. I haven't posted or responded there yet, but I have some kind of addiction when it comes to reading them. So, over the course of the last couple weeks, I've come to the conclusion that 99% of the crap posted there is complete B.S. The content is purely reflexive of what is dangerous about triathlon. It comes down to a bunch of people talking more about the things that don't matter vs. what does matter. Example: There was a debate I was reading about the Pose method of running and whether or not it was a good idea. From the posts I read, people were getting completely bent out of shape. Some were saying it's good, others said it was bad and so fourth-but the thing that got me was that people were personally attacking each other and the method's founder...What the hell? Who the heck cares if it's good or not? If it works for you, than use it! If not, then don't. This example is just the tip of the ice berg there. It seems every discussion boils down to personal attacks and other critical views about a sport that should bring us all fun and enjoyment. The fact is, most of us are not getting paid for this 'hobby'. Therefore, it should be a positive part of our lives. I'm worried that forums like these bring such a negative connotation to a sport I love. Now, with that said, I completely intend to continue reading the forums....what can I say, they're addicting :).

On to better things....

Today (yesterday actually-I started writing this post yesterday morning and am now finishing it 24 hrs later), I had a 2 hour ride to complete as part of my training schedule. For some reason or another, I had no motivation. I mean, come on, it's a measly little 2 hour ride, done at such a low intensity it's almost laughable. But did I want to get my fat ass out on the bike? Nope! Then I remembered an article I had read about Navy Seal and Ultra Running Psycho (said with the utmost affection) David Goggins. For those who don't know, Mr. Goggins is an absolute animal when it comes to endurance. He's run Badwater, Western States, come in 2nd at the Ultraman Tri, and a million other ultra distance events. He's so badass that he finished his first 100 miler while going into kidney failure and with broken feet-I'm never complaining about blisters again! So the man's done all this, admitting oddly, that he HATES running!!!! That's right, HATES running! How the hell does he do it then? He explains that in order to see what he's really made of, he gets out there and does what he does. Not to mention the fact that he raises money for deceased soldiors families. Either way, both are more than noble causes.

So....as I remembered this man and what he does, I felt more than a sense of shame as I came up with reasons in my head why I should not do the ride I had on my schedule. I mean, really!? What's wrong with me that I can't suffer in the cold for 2 little, tiny hours? With this on my mind, I got on the damn bike, and proceeded, at least in a small way, to find out what I was made of. Doing what you don't want to, even when it's something you like, in many ways tells you more about who you are than many other things. Even though the hardest part was getting out the door, I realized that I CAN do it, and that I SHOULD do it. If getting out the door is the hardest thing you do all day, you're one lucky S.O.B.

Push 'till ya puke...Always.

No comments: