Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Got a new toy...




So today I bought a fixie...to those out of the know (as I was 12 hours ago), that's a fixed gear bike. Now, I absolutely LOVE bikes. Since starting to race triathlons, I've found a true love for just getting out and riding. Looking back, it makes plenty of sense. Since I learned how to ride a two wheeler, I rode everywhere. There was literally not a time I can remember before I got my driver's license, that I was not going somewhere on my bike.


Growing up in the 80's and 90's, I was mostly subjected to skateboarding as a form of rebellion. This was way before Tony Hawk was a household name, and the X games were not even a passing thought. There was a real rebelious feel to riding a skateboard, and I definately embraced it. However, I still loved bikes.


I remeber all the bikes I've ever owned. I had an intimate relationship with each one I've ever had. From my first, white Mongoose BMX bike I got for Christmas, to the stealthy black department store mountain bike I begged my Dad to buy me. Through the years, I've always had a bike, even if I didn't ride.


So today, with my tricked out, carbon, aluminum, and spaced aged whatever triathlon and road bikes, I decided it was time to go old school. I found a Steel Fixed Gear bike on ebay (for a fraction of the price I've spent on my recent bikes), bid on it, and won. I'm so excited!


Thinking about this, I can't help but think of the beauty that comes with the simplicity of the new fixie. No gears, no brakes, nothing but steal and rubber. I can't wait to feel the road on this machine.


But don't get me wrong. I still LOOOOOVE my racing bikes. There's really nothing like speeding down a hill at 50 mph's, knowing you can still stop on a dime if you have to. Also, nothing sounds as delightful as the cranking of your chain as you make an impossibly steep climb. I love those things and will definately enjoythem for years to come.


What I'm getting at here is the romance of bicycling. There's something primitive about it...not quite so much as running the trails, but certainly moreso than turning the key to start the Ford in my driveway. There's a connection with the world, the road, and yourself that you get from cycling. It's something I can't quite describe, but at the same time don't ever want to. I want to ride because I like to. I want to ride not because I have to ride a certain time or milage, but because it soothes me. I really love this stuff and can't wait to get on that thing. I'll keep you posted.


Push 'till ya puke...Always.

No comments: