Friday, June 19, 2009

Quote

I came across this quote in a reply on Heather and Trevor Wurtele's blog from ChuckieV. I read it again and again and I can't think of a better way to sum up why I love triathlon so much. This quote says more about me than I can even write about myself.

Teddy says, “It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

2 comments:

km. said...

hey dave! i just did a half-iron distance this past weekend and came home and googled "htfu" to see what cool gear i could get...since that phrase motivated me through the whole race. needless to say, your site came up! remember me?! it's kiera from stony brook school. so awesome to see you love this sport too!

Dave said...

Yes! Of course I remember you! How is everything? I sent you an email, but in case you didn't get it, my email addy is Davidspike1@hotmail.com. Drop me an email and let me know what you're up to! I'd love to hear about your "post-SBS" life! Hope all is well and congrats on your race!