Saturday, August 8, 2009

A lot going on


So there's been a ton going on for me the last couple of weeks-hence the slowness with the updates.


First and foremost I want to thank Matty Reed for stopping by to check out the blog. He left a comment on the "What Would Matty Reed Do?" post I put up a couple of months ago. Scroll down and check it out!


Training has been going ok lately. I only say ok because I'm teetering on the brink of overtraining. I'm in a tricky place where I haven't raced in over a month and my fitness is definately reaching a peak. I'm still two weeks out from my big "A" race (Timberman) and I'm honestly sick of training. Actually it's not that I'm sick of training, it's that my body is sick of it. Recently I haven't been feeling strong when I train. Almost constantly I'm in a fatigued state. I know that red flags are going up and it's time to slow it down. To put it in the words of my buddy Grant, the bucket is full right now and it's not gonna get more full. The biggest thing I have to do know in the remaining weeks is be smart and not overflow the bucket. Therefore, I'm gonna go off my plan a bit, cut the volume down, and concentrate on quality work.


My swim ain't gonna get better in two weeks and I'm not gonna get much fitter in those weeks either. If anything, I'd rather be slightly undertrained going into Timberman than overtrained like I fear I may be if I keep pushing the envelope with volume.


All this is hard because I really do LOVE training. Given the aspects of triathlon I don't see how any triathlete could not. I mean, we get to perform so few times in comparison to other sports. Baseball players, basketball players, hockey players, and so on, get so many opportunities to demonstrate their hard work. We're only on stage a fraction of the time they are so we really have to make it count each and every time. In some ways it stinks, but in other ways its a huge draw to the sport.


Otherwise life is good. Busy, but good. I'm happy with the way things are and I can feel there are some big things about to happen for myself and the people around me. Fun time to be alive!


Push 'till ya puke...Always.


2 comments:

Lucho said...

Yo-
Matt is one of the good ones. I've had the chance over the years to swim, bike, and run quite a bit with Matt and he's not only one of the best triathletes in the world, but he's truly a good guy. Try to rest up and simply train to hold on to what you have. Burn out is something we all go through. Your fitness isn't going to dry up over night- so put the performance side of it all on the side burner and just relax and do what is fun to you. This might be killing a hard ride or it might be watching a movie... listen to what your body and your gut it telling you.
T

Dave said...

Thanks Lucho,
I really appreciate the input. It's really great to have guys like you and Matt give me direct advice! It's really priceless!
I'm definately going to do what you say, it just makes sense. I've worked so hard to get to where I am right now and it would be a shame to blow it.
Thanks again!
Dave